An experiment that aims at finding the link between two trends that develop simultaneously in the history of film – Lumieres concept of a movie as a record of reality and Méliés’s idea that uses the film as a tool for creation of imaginative worlds. NEBULA draws from both of these approaches and becomes a combination, collage, in which the recorded figurative picture is intermingled with abstract compositions being the graphic equivalent of music. The project using the volumetric filmmaking technique (RGB+D) is, on the one hand, the recording of an event (a meeting of musicians playing a jazz composition “Sleepwalker” by Maciej Obara) and, on the other, an attempt to obtain the visual experience of music by using the soundtrack of a recorded piece of music at the stage of post-production. The picture created as a result of the recording represents the “Lumieres line” that aims at reflecting the reality in the most accurate way. Musical layer that has its sources also in the recording becomes a tool for creation of abstract visual compositions that does not bear traits of reality (Méliés’s line). These two approaches are combined into an audio visual form resembling a video clip.
- RUNNING TIME:
- 11th.International Animated Film Festival Animator 2018, Poland, 2018 (competition)
- Anima Mundi Festival 2018, Brazil, 2018 (competition)
- 42nd Ottawa International Animation Festival, Canada, 2018 (competition)
- Brussels Independent Film Festival. 2019, Belgium, 2019 (competition)
- ANIMAC 2019, Spain, 2019 (competition)
- 10th Golden Kuker-Sofia, International Animation Film Festival, Bulgaria, 2019 (competition)